Monday, June 6, 2011

Lake McDonald - Glacier's Largest Lake

On May 29, 2011, we started our visit at Glacier National Park. Our first stop before driving through West Entrance was Waterton-Glacier Park Headquarters, which is to me all about Alberta and made me feel I was crossing the border to Canada!

From Apgar Visitor Center, we got a Glacier road map from the park ranger and decided to drive the Going-to-the-Sun Road along the shores of Lake McDonald until Avalanche Creek where the road beyond was closed. Lake McDonald is Glacier's largest lake. The water is icy cold, and the view is splendid with all those snow-covered mountain surrounding it. My fondest moment was sitting at the northern shore looking to the south in the afternoon sun, warm and calm... ... And those pretty pebbles, green or red, smooth and flattened, so pretty I couldn't help taking two pieces home for souvenirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment